Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Fall Day...







The day feels like this picture - A burst of sunlit color as a copse of young maple culminate their year of growth. The maples, being durable hardwood, have driven above the disturbed canopy of apple and aspen. After the struggle to rise above other vegetable growth, nature's competitive quest for survival, dormancy, and a long winter sleep await. For now all is glory for them. Next spring will bring more challenges - among the copse-mates as well as from without. This is what I see adjacent to my woodshed.
We had another hard frost last night . As we go toward winter, many homestead chores must be halted, that is a seasonal surety for me. Time to look and assess with a bit of contentment my world. Our heating wood is in, seasoned and stacked. The chimney extension with its mortar and insulation is nearing completion, with supplies for the rock facade paid for and ready for spring. With the climate teetering on the cusp of cataclysm and the world financial systems receding into crisis, there is assurance that nature's seasons are still guiding my life. What has always been my inspiration and compass - nature - continues on with me a small part of the whole.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: