Saturday, October 11, 2008

Autumn Already...



Spirit Tree, North Shore, Lake Superior, Minnesota

What a busy summer it's been! I seldom had time to even think about this blog, but now I will have a bit of time to write, or at least the state of mind to do so. Since my blog is basically to me, I don't feel compelled to write in it regularly. If there is anyone out there who has ever checked this, all I can say is sorry for your futile bother... In looking at my list of posts I noticed that I didn't ever post some in May, simply left them in a saved state. I'll remedy that in short order and the writing and any pictures will appear in back of this entry. After a busy summer of guiding sea kayak trips, life hasn't slowed down all that much. So much left for later at home. My inherent laziness on new projects at home, with winter closing in, leaves me with a lot to do but with basics covered.

Perilous times we are living in politically and economically. A world-wide monetary crisis that is looking more like the Great Depression all the time. Inflation continues to rise here at home. A presidential race getting down and dirty with the Democrats again and again being the brunt of Republican dirty politics. I have been volunteering at the Democratic party office in Houghton, and calls to mostly right wing voters have tested my cordiality. Though I don't agree with the Democrats on some important social issues, these issues pale when I look at the state of the middle class, the environment, the way that the neo-con Republicans have taken our country since Reagan and under Bush for the last 8 years.

We have been having a wonderful color change here in the Copper Country for the last couple of weeks. Now a bit on the ebb as we slide toward late autumn, the vibrancy seems to hold on still. I don't know when I've seen the trees blazing so colorfully for so long.

I've invested in a 27 ton log splitter and have been making short work of hardwood knotty rounds that were so tight grained that maul and wedges were foiled. All but the really old and punky ones (that I gruntingly rolled aside years ago) are going to be burnt in the wood stove like chunks of coal. A new 10 cord logging truck load of sugar maple is being whittled down fast into next years split and stacked fire wood with the use of the hydraulic splitter.

Life goes on...





Posted by Picasa

No comments: