Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sun to More Rain

Well, we apparently had our day in the sun and today we got up to rain - steady to hard and with no end in sight. After a summer of drought and the big lake continuing to drop, marshes and streams drying up - I should be just plain glad. but my chimney lining and fitting the new Oslo stove into the living room is faltering to near standstill. Gabe, who got into a skunk on Sunday when he and Dixie went "walkabout" is still out in the doghouse until he gets less aromatic. It's frustrating to not be able to continue on with the changes on the chimney. Woe is me in my self-absorbed little world...
I ended up getting out a new chisel and attacking the present 9 inch living room flue outlet; and with the use of a large iron pike I chipped away the 9 inch galvanized thimble. This left my knuckles rough and bloody, but now I have a hole in the hearth wall that is ready for a new thimble of a bit over 6 inches in diameter. The actual flue pipe from the elbow will fit through to the stainless thimble on the chimney liner. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll be able to complete this project, weather being just one determining factor. Getting an insulated 6 inch pipe in the used clay liner is going to be a tight fit. It will be all worth it if I have less creosote build-up and a more efficient and more pleasing wood heat.
The aspens that border our garden and can be seen out of our south windows are turning yellow now. They are tall and catch every breeze and whisper - one of my favorite home place natural sound.
I am going to Marquette with Lynn and her group tomorrow and going to see the Fillmore's again. I have to retrieve my parka and headlamp that I ended up leaving back there on Saturday. I can also get a few supplies at Menard's, return some stuff there. And the rain continues...

No comments: